True to his promise of paying this side of the country a visit, Commissioner of Internal Revenue Caesar R. Dulay held a dialogue with all the stakeholders of Revenue Region (RR) No. 16 – Cagayan de Oro City last 30 March 2017 at the Cattleya Function Room of N Hotel.
Dubbed as “Panaghinabi kang Commissioner Billy (translated as a conversation with Commissioner Billy),” the gathering was in keeping with the Commissioner’s wish to hold talks with all the stakeholders of the revenue region, especially the taxpayers, to enlist their support for the BIR’s tax collection efforts for this year.
The Commissioner was supposed to meet the stakeholders last 28 February 2017 during the region’s tax campaign kickoff but was aborted in the last minute after he was summoned to attend a congressional hearing on the same date.
In his usual jovial mood, Commissioner Dulay thanked the select group for responding to the invitation of the revenue region. Turning serious, he told them that Cagayan de Oro City will be the next Mega City and that the future of the City is in their hands and the generations that will follow their footsteps.
Cagayan de Oro is a first class highly-urbanized city and the capital of the province of Misamis Oriental. It is a chartered city where governance is independent and separate from the province. It is also known as “The City of Golden Friendship” and other monickers such as “The Adventure Capital of the Philippines,” “River Rafting Capital of the Philippines,” “The Heart of Northern Mindanao,” “The Gateway to the Land of Promise,” and “The City of Gold.”
He said that the main mandate of the BIR is to collect taxes and that it provides around 80% of government tax revenues to fund the expenditures of government – from the payment of the salaries of government workers to the building of roads and other infrastructures. The remaining 20% is sourced from other revenue generating agencies like the Bureau of Customs (BoC).
The tax agency collected
P1.576 trillion last year as against its collection target of P1.620 trillion, or an achievement level of around 97%. Media, however, zeroed in on its (3%) failure to achieve its collection goal.
BIR Cagayan de Oro City collected
P12.47 billion in 2016 as compared to its tax take of P10.75 billion in 2015, posting a growth rate of 15.96% or an increase of P1.72 billion. This year, the revenue region has been assigned a collection goal of P12.87 billion.
As an organization, the BIR is tasked to collect
P1.829 trillion to which Commissioner Dulay said that it is precisely for that reason (collection goal) that he asked for the dialogue to appeal to all the stakeholders to help the tax agency achieve the said target, adding that the funds to be raised will be used to support the programs of the administration of President Duterte.
He asked everyone to pay their taxes correctly to help fund the government’s massive infrastructure spending that will benefit the country and most especially Mindanao.
Commissioner Dulay quipped, “We appeal for your support and cooperation. We do not have to push you and this is exactly what this conversation is all about. I am humbled no end by your all-important presence in this gathering.
The Commissioner closed the dialogue with an assurance that the BIR – the regional and district officials – will be fair in making assessments and truthful in dealing with taxpayers.
The Revenue District Officers of the six (6) Revenue District Offices (RDOs) of RR No. 16 – Cagayan de Oro City are: Rolando C. Ompoc, RDO No. 97 – Gingoog City; Venerando B. Homez, RDO No. 98 – Cagayan de Oro City; Samer R. Muti, RDO No. 99 – Malaybalay City; Noel B. Gonzales, RDO No. 100 – Ozamis City; Amanoding D. Esmail, RDO No. 101 – Iligan City; and Nasrollah B. Conding, RDO No. 102 – Marawi City.
“Panaghinabi kang Commissioner Billy“ was conceptualized to hold a friendly and caring dialogue, reach out to taxpayers of Region X, from as far as and including Misamis Occidental, Lanao Del Norte and Sur, Bukidnon, and the Island of Camiguin, and enlist collective support for the collection initiatives of the Bureau. It was staged on short notice with the collaborative efforts of responsible regional and district officials and personnel who gracefully overcame limited preparation time. The efforts produced an A-1 ensemble of taxpayers and stakeholders interacting with Commissioner Billy. (reytdlc)
***photos from Aimee Valencia of BIR R16***