To lessen the increasing number of dengue cases in Cagayan de Oro City, the city council urged the City Health Office in coordination with the barangays to strengthen its campaign against dengue.
This, after the Committee on Health, Sanitation and Health Insurance convened together with Dr. Fe Bongcas and Ramon Bautista both from City Health Office and Dr. William Bernardo of City Health Insurance Office to discuss the existing anti-dengue task force of the City Health Office.
Councilor Maria Lourdes Gaane, chair of the committee, brought the matter to the body after she received reports of the increasing number of dengue cases in the city.
Dr. Bongcas confirmed that dengue cases in the city are increasing compared to last year.
Based on the statistics, as of September 2016, there are about 1,455 dengue cases reported. Out of that, there are four reported deaths because of dengue, she said.
Bongcas said there are innovations done by the CHO such as orientation in the different schools both private and public on dengue awareness, aside from posting stickers on PUJs which serves as an information drive.
She said “olyset” nets were also given by the Department of Health (DOH) to 15 barangays with the highest number of dengue cases.
BARANGAY DENGUE BRIGADE
During the meeting, Dr. Bongcas said there is a task force of each barangay in coordination with the City Health Office called Barangay Dengue Brigade.
This task force is composed of barangay chair as chairman of the task force, with the City Health Office, barangay health workers, purok leaders and the academe and NGOs as members.
Every Saturday and Sunday, personnel from the CHO-Sanitation Division visit the area to give orientation and lead in the conduct of regular clean-up drive.
Councilor Gaane encouraged the barangays to strengthen the implementation of the dengue brigade.(JBD/SP)
***photo from sunstar.com.ph***